Stalybridge Celtic throw away two-goal lead at Buxton


Stalybridge Celtic’s lengthy wait for a first away victory of the season goes on after they threw away a two-goal lead at Buxton, writes Tony Bugby.

“It feels like a loss after we were so much on top in the game,” explained Celtic manager Steve Burr.

“If we continue to give that effort and commitment, and show that ability, we won’t go far wrong. It is fine lines,” he continued.

Celtic collected only a second point from a possible 33 on their travels in Evo Stik League, premier division.

However, it is 63 weeks and counting since they last won away on a Saturday – that was at Bradford Park Avenue on October 29, 2016.

And since then they have managed only one away win midweek at Altrincham on April 4, 2017.

Celtic could have been 2-0 down or 1-0 ahead before they took the lead in the 25th minute.

Buxton’s Liam Hardy fired narrowly wide after breaking clear while Brad Grayson’s chip hit the bar.

Celtics’ Theo Bailey-Jones also missed a sitter before Liam Dickinson headed home a Sam Sheridan floated cross from 10 yards.

It got even better when they went 2-0 ahead eight minutes before the break when Jordan Chapell slotted home Dickinson’s cross, his 12th goal of the season.

Celtic had chances to add a third early in the second half, notably when Chapell’s shot was saved by Will Jasskelainen and follow-up efforts from Bailey-Jones and Connor Hughes were cleared off the goalline.

What could have been 3-0 became 2-1 moments later when centre half Jack Broadhead bundled in a Joe McGee corner at the far post.

And Celtic conceded a second after 75 minutes when Buxton substitute, on his full debut, slotted in a shot after the visitors were caught out again failing to clear their defensive lines.

Celtic had chances to snatch victory as in the last nine minutes substitutes Oli Roberts and Tom Brown, along with Hughes, all went close as the game ended all square.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *