THE public again turned out in force as Stalybridge’s Remembrance Day service remained the borough’s biggest commemoration.
After the bumper turnout last year for the landmark event which marked the centenary of the end to the First World War, there was a feeling numbers would be smaller this time.
It was not the case as a crowd numbering several thousand – those participating in the parade and spectators – took part in the event which had been co-ordinated by the Stalybridge and Dukinfield branch of the Royal British Legion.
The parade assembled in Armentieres Square with The Manchester Regiment 1914-18 providing personnel dressed in First World War attire.
Stalybridge Old Band led the parade which included representatives of the armed forces and emergency services, Lord Pendry and other local politicians along with Stalybridge schools, Brownies, Guides, Cubs and Scouts.
The parade snaked through the centre of Stalybridge, including the full length of Melbourne Street, to the war memorial where the Rev Eddy Inglis was the presiding minister for the service and wreath laying.
The parade then moved off along Trinity Street to Armentieres Square where it was dismissed.
MOSSLEY’S event at the war memorial in Mossley Park attracted about 300 people.
The service was conducted by the Rev David Warner from St George’s Church with Mossley Band providing the music.
Once again there a maroon was launched to mark the beginning of the two minutes’ silence.
Afterwards there was a procession via Stamford Road and Stamford Street to the George Lawton Hall where refreshments were served.
Pictures thanks to Mossley Town Council